Indicated admission number: 87 / Number on roll: 276 Somerset Admissions & Entitlements Team administers admission into Year 5 prior to a pupil starting school in September. Parents wishing to make an application or get more information can visit somerset.gov.uk/admissions, email email@example.com, phone Somerset Direct on 0845 456 4038 or write to: Admissions & Entitlements Team, County Hall, Taunton TA1 4DY. The Headteacher meets with all children and their parents prior to admission. If there are more applications than places available the Local Authority over-subscription criteria will be applied to determine how places are allocated: Children with a statement of Special Educational Needs which names the school will be admitted then;
- Looked After Children – Children who are in the care of a Local Authority or have previously been and are now formally adopted.
- Children without a statement of Special Educational Needs, identified with a sensory, physical or medical disability (High Needs Pupils), where a multi-agency professional team has identified the school as the nearest suitable school. (See important note 1).
- Children living in the catchment area, with an older sibling at the school at the time of admission, and who live at the same address.
- Children living in the catchment area.
- Children living outside the catchment area, with an older sibling at the school at the time of admission, and who live at the same address.
- Children living outside the catchment area and registered in an Infant, First or Middle School (within the transfer school catchment area).
- In VC schools with a religious foundation:
- Children and/or parent(s) who are practising members of the founding religious body of the school (e.g. Anglican or Methodist).
- Children and/or parent(s) who are practising members of other churches or religious denominations. (See important 2).
- Children not satisfying a higher criterion.
Pupils with Disabilities
All pupils have an entitlement to a broad and balanced curriculum regardless of their disabilities. The school strives to prevent disabled pupils being treated less favourably than other pupils. The school has wheel chair access to most areas and disabled toilets and therapy facilities. Discussions are taking place with the LA to plan the next stages of accessibility.
Visits and Appointments for Admission
Parents whose children are currently in the local First Schools will receive an invitation to meet the Head and staff and see the school at our Open Evening that is held in the Autumn Term. Parents are invited to make individual appointments if they wish to visit the school and see it in action. Please telephone or write to the school for further details. Telephone: (01460) 52431 OR email Swanmead@educ.somerset.gov.uk.
For In-Year Admissions please complete the form below and return it to Swanmead Community School, Ditton Street, Ilminster, Somerset TA10 OBL for the attention of Mrs. Ann Kivett.
Where an application has been refused in any year group, the child will be placed on a waiting list. This will be kept strictly in order of oversubscription criteria by the Local Authority, as the Admission Authority, and the child will remain on the waiting list until the end of the academic year in which the application was refused. Parents are responsible for informing the Admission Authority of any changes in their circumstances, which could affect their place on the waiting list.